Europe & Central Asia
Turkey / Standard Profil-01/Duzce
IFC has invested in two projects relating to the company Standard Profil, a manufacturer of plastic automobile components with production facilities located in Duzce, Turkey. The first investment in 2006 was to facilitate the improvement of operational facilities and the second investment in 2007 was expected to support innovation through the company’s R&D capacity in order to create employment opportunities for highly skilled, Turkish technicians. In September 2008, the Confederation of Turkish Trade Unions (Turk-is) lodged a complaint with CAO on behalf of workers of the Petroleum Chemical Rubber Workers’ Trade Union of Turkey (Petrol-is) and Standard Profil. The complaint related to labor and working conditions and more specifically, rights of association and restrictions on formation of a labor union.
CAO Ombudsman conducted a preliminary field visit in November 2008 followed by regional consultation visits to discuss the possible options to achieve a resolution. In the Stakeholder Assessment Report, completed in February 2009, CAO recommended that Standard Profil take the following actions:
1. Promote awareness of IFC Performance Standards 2 (PS2) on Labor and Working Conditions by means of increased visibility in the workplace;
2. Together with CAO, assist workers and management to implement a training program to ensure the effective application & understanding of PS2 requirements;
3. In consultation with CAO & IFC, implement an independent labor audit to provide assurance of adherence to IFC’s core labor standards.
In January 2009, CAO received confirmation from the parties that the recommended actions provided a satisfactory resolution of the complaint. CAO then worked with Standard Profil and IFC, as well as freely elected worker representatives, in pursuit of effective implementation of those actions. Training for workers and managers on Performance Standard 2 took place in January 2010 and was followed up by the establishment of social dialogue structures in the company. The independent labor audit was carried out in April 2011.
In June 2012, CAO closed the case and issued an Ombudsman Conclusion Report which is available at the links below in English and Turkish.
- Project Name & Number
- Standard Profil 26098
- Global Manufacturing & Services
- Standard Profil Otomotiv Ticaret ve Sanayi A.S.
- Industrial & Consumer Products
- Europe & Central Asia
- Environmental Category
- 25% shareholding
- Eligible: Completed
- Assessment Period: Completed
- Facilitating Settlement: Completed
- Monitoring/Close-out: Closed